Cooking as ONE: Charmaine’s Prawn Vermicelli
Cooking as ONE: Charmaine's Prawn Vermicelli
Charmaine's Prawn Vermicelli
- Black pepper
- Light soya sauce
- Hua Diao cooking wine
- Oyster sauce
- Sesame oil
- Dark soya sauce
- Crab meat (optional)
- Spring onions
- Hot pot prawn stock*
*You can also use prawn heads to make the stock
- To start, soak the vermicelli in room temperature water to soften it.
- Pound the black pepper to release its flavour, slice the ginger and smash the garlic.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the sauces together and mix well.
- To prepare the prawns, remove the head and de-shell the prawns. Score the prawn across the back, and remove the gunk.
- Prepare the hot pot prawn stock, by adding water and bringing it to a boil.
- Add a bit of oil in a pan on medium-high heat, toss in the coriander root, sliced ginger, smashed garlic, and the black pepper. Fry it up until it smells amazing, then stir fry the prawns.
- The prawns are ready once it starts to curl up, and has a red hue. Take it out and leave it aside.
- Throw in the vermicelli in the pan, add in the sauces, give it a quick stir, and allow the vermicelli to soak up most of the sauce.
- Throw in the crab meat on top, and garnish with spring onions.
- Cover the pan and let it steam for a few more minutes.
- You’re done, and the dish is ready to serve!
Head over to ONE FM's Facebook Page @onefm913 and participate in our weekly Cooking as ONE contest and guess the DJ who cooked the dish of the week! Prizes to be given away, tune in to ONE FM 91.3 to find out more!